Make Movement a Habit for the Whole Family
Movement is a key component to developing healthy habits as a family. Below is a list of movement ideas the whole family can together. Even the busiest of families can squeeze a couple of these into their schedule. And most of them are entirely free.
For more tips on movement, check out this video on Moving More At Home.
- Go on a hike at least once a month if weather permits. Make it a fun family outing, pack a picnic lunch, look for a particular animal or bird, climb to view a lake or pond, or see how many rocks you can step over without touching the ground. Kids like hiking much better when they don’t realize it’s about exercise!
- Play childhood games. Play games such as duck duck goose, ring around the rosie, tag, hide and seek, etc. Not only are these games fun for kids but it gets them moving!
- Toss a ball or a frisbee.
- Scavenger hunt in the neighborhood.
- Make an obstacle course at home in a family room, the backyard, or at a playground.
- Walk the dog and play with them running around.
- Go on a bike ride.
- Koo Koo Kangaroo. Check out Koo Koo Kangaroo’s YouTube channel. They have several movement songs to dance to. It is fun for the kids but can also be fun to do together.
- Put kids to work in the yard.
- Sneak workouts into other activities. Have your child walk instead of riding in the cart at the supermarket, and take the stairs or walk up the escalator whenever possible.
If you would like help creating healthy habits as a family, set up a complimentary call with Coach Veronica. We offer healthy habits coaching services for the entire family.