Here is a healthy spin on Chicken Parmesan. No pounding, breading, or frying chicken. One skillet to cook and bake the dish. So it is easy.
What really brings additional flavor is browning the chicken in a skillet with sautéed garlic before covering it with sauce and topping it with cheese and basil.
I served it with a simple side of steamed broccoli, but you can pick your favorite green vegetable. Steamed green beans, sautéed zucchini, roasted asparagus, or a mixed green salad are other complementary choices.
When you try the recipe, let me know what you think in the comments below. Do you have a family favorite recipe you wish was healthier?
Easy Healthy Chicken Parmesan with Steamed Broccoli
Serves: 4 Total time: 60 minutes
- 4 chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped or crushed
- 1 jar of your favorite spaghetti sauce
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella cheese or 1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp packed fresh, chopped basil leaves or 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 large Broccoli crowns
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Be careful not to burn.
- Add seasoned chicken breast and cook on each side for 4 minutes, browning the sides.
- Pour sauce over the chicken. Layer fresh mozzarella on top or cover with shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese and chopped fresh or dried basil.
- Place skillet in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked all the way through. May need to cook up to 15 minutes longer for thick breasts.
- While the chicken is in the oven, cut broccoli in florets and place in a stovetop steamer basket or use another preferred steaming method. Cook until desired tenderness. Season with salt and pepper.
- Other good green vegetable options: steamed green beans, sautéed zucchini, roasted asparagus, or a mixed green salad.