Almost a decade ago when I was living in Louisiana, I hosted a brunch and someone brought this delightful bruschetta as her dish to share. I really wish I could remember who it was so I could tag her to give her the appropriate credit. So if she happens to remember and see this post, please speak up and say it was you.
Ever since then, this has been an appetizer I frequently make and take to gatherings. It combines three of the yummiest foods together--sweet potatoes, caramelized red onions, and blue cheese!
Blue cheese has one of the highest calcium levels of cheeses.
Not everyone is a fan of blue cheese, so good substitutions would be feta or goat cheese. A little sprinkle of sunflower or pumpkin seeds or chopped walnuts or pecans would also make a good addition.
You can serve them warm or cold. They even taste good as leftovers.
Another favorite, super-simple appetizer to make along with this are Blistered Olives. Oh YUM! They also taste good warm, cold, or leftover.
If you give these simple apps a try, let me know below.
Sweet Potato Bruschetta
Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/2 of red onion, thinly sliced
- Blue cheese
- Olive oil
- Cooking spray (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash and pat dry sweet potato. Slice into 1/4 inch slices crossways. Lay sweet potato slices out in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush tops with olive oil or spray with cooking spray. Flip slices over and coat the other side with oil.
- Bake slices in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Flip slices over and bake for an additional 5-8 minutes until tender. Set aside after baking.
- While the potato slices bake, warm a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. After heated, add red onion slices and saute for 10-15 minutes until tender and caramelized.
- Top each sweet potato slice with some caramelized red onion and sprinkle of crumbled blue cheese and serve!
- Serve hot or cold. Taste good as leftovers. Just store leftovers in the refrigerator. If you want to eat them warm, just place some on a plate and warm in the microwave for 15-30 seconds.